Why You Should Think Mobile First
In an age where a majority of the population practically lives on their phones, it boggles the mind to find that most businesses – big and small- are still so out of touch with this crucial medium. Research shows that a customer’s first encounter with your website will most likely be via their mobile phone and the rate at which consumers use mobile to connect with brands continues to increase each year.
Read on to find out how to think and implement mobile first!
Responsive Design and App Aren’t Enough
Being mobile-friendly goes far beyond having an app and a responsive website. It requires a bottom-up approach that means more than just eliminating certain aspects of the desktop design in order to make it ‘mobile friendly’. What you need to do is envision how you want your brand to appear on mobile screens, and then design it to fit that vision.
Oftentimes, once you get the mobile design right, there’s no longer a need to even have an app. However, if you think that having an app will add value to your offering then go ahead and incorporate it, but expanding onto the desktop should be the final step and not the first.
The Mobile Web Information Challenge
Perhaps the biggest challenge posed by mobile is that there’s actually very limited space available to play around in. However, you can look at it as an opportunity to simplify your design and really hone in on what’s important; but on the other hand, it’s challenging to work with such a small amount of space when we’re so used with the large screens of our desktops and laptops.
Large desktop screens allowed us to keep adding more features on the menu, more text, more information and more images. With mobile, there’s just no space to fit all of that, so we have to make do with what we can work with.
That’s why the whole approach of trying to remove certain aspects of the desktop experience to make it more responsive to mobile is ineffective because it renders the website useless in the end. The solution here is to completely put aside the whole design of your desktop website and start from scratch. At TWDG, we built all websites to work on any mobile or tablet device, check out our web design packages.
How to Make Your Mobile Website Amazing
- Brand – Think about how you’d like your brand to be portrayed on mobile screens, from the logo to the font, colors etc. Completely infuse your brand into the mobile site to create an unforgettable user experience.
- Scroll – Since users will be scrolling down from the top, the information on your site has to be organized so that it flows easily from one section to the other.
- Menu, images, fonts, and copy – Create a copy that really grabs the reader’s attention. Use large fonts and branded text, use more images than text and make sure that those images direct the visitor to where you want them to go. Also, because most people are right-handed, it’s a good idea to place the menu in the top left corner of the screen so you can avoid clicking on it by accident.
- Calls to Action – Your call to action should be clear and concise, while big sticky prompts and buttons are a great way to guide readers towards the action you want them to take.
- Test and Optimize – First, decrease your browser’s screen size to get an idea of what your site will look like on mobile, or alternatively test it out on your Android or iPhone to make sure that there are no glitches. You can optimize your site by using MixPanel which will enable you to keep track of the traffic going through your site’s mobile version.